My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

Aparajito (1956)

The sequel to Pather Panchali, this second film in the Apu Trilogy starts off in the town of Varanasi where Apu’s family had gone to make a new start.  His father is working as a priest and his mother is working as maid.   Again their lives are turned upside down by tragedy and Apu and his mother move back into the country to her uncle.   The film continues to follow Apu all the way through college and his demanding mother wants him to return home.   This story wasn’t as poetic as the first one but it’s still a remarkable achievement in film.  The conflict between mother and son is unforgettable.   It’s hard for me to believe that I’ve watched two films in this trilogy so far.  At one time I thought I’d never see it because of its unavailability. Thank Criterion for making it possible for us to watch such amazing cinema.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment