My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Queen of Katwe (2016)

This is a feel-good film about the true story of Phiona Mutesi from Uganda who becomes a Chess Master and competes with the best of the world.  Directed by Mira Nair and staring Lupita Nyong’o as Phiona’s mother and David Oyelowo as her coach.   It follows the typical format these kind of autobiographical sports films do but what makes this one stand out is how connected you become to the characters.   I really fell in love with everyone in this movie and emotionally went through every up and down they go through.  It’s a highly enjoyable film.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment