My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Brooklyn (2015)

Saoirse Ronan gives one of her best performances as an Irish Immigrant in Brooklyn in the 1950s.  Away from home she discovers herself in this new country and falls in love.  Yet will she return home when she is called back?  Adapted from the novel by Colm Toibin by Nick Hornby and directed by John Crowley, this is a winner in a big way.   It would be nominated for best picture and I’m sure will find favor with many looking for a coming-to-age story that really gets to the soul of becoming your own person.  This is a flawless film in many ways.  Grade: A


Spoilers:  Thank god Tony, played by Emory Cohen, didn’t turn out to be a jerk.  I was really worried that she’d fall for Domhnall Gleeson’s Jim.  But I could see why she would. That’s great drama and made what one would think was a mundane story really intense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment