My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, November 14, 2016

I Am Your Father (2014)

This documentary is about David Prowse, the actor who played Darth Vader from the original Star Wars film.  It’s really enjoyable but I think director Marcos Cabota and Toni Bestard shoot themselves in the foot by seemingly promising to show us a reshoot of Darth Vader’s death scene where David is used in Darth Vader’s reveal instead of actor Sebastian Shaw.   Also I don’t find it criminal that Lucas decided to go with another actor to play Anakin in that moment.   Bitter grapes though can be dramatic and help cause many a conspiracy.  Yet getting to know Mr. Prowse and seeing all of his accomplishments is rewarding.   If you’re a Star Wars fan this is a must-see.  And if you’re not, it’s at least a fascinating look at the impact playing such an iconic part can have on a person.  Grade: B+


Spoilers:  I’m on the fence with the whole “let’s reshoot the reveal scene” gimmick.  For one, it sucks we can’t see it.  You feel bamboozled and that’s not cool.  Second, you don’t even need it.  Prowse’s life and personality alone is enough for a documentary without making it a film about the making of a mini-film.  (His work as the Green Cross Code Man for example is really cool.) Lucasfilm, in my opinion, should let Cabota release his little reshoot.  It’s harmless for one.  And second it would make David happy.  Is his ban from Lucasfilm events warranted?   Does Lucasfilm own him anything like an apology?  That’s up to the viewer (although the filmmakers make their opinion quite clear).  I personally think all the attention inflated his ego a bit, but that’s okay, he’s Darth Vader and that’s really awesome.   Let’s leave the man alone and enjoy the rest of his years with his fine family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment