My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Ugly Americans and Our New President

Oh America.  Today, I am not Proud to be an American.  Today I'm depressed and trying with all my fiber to find hope for the future.  But alas, this country I live in voted for a man so loathsome to be our next President I can't really understand it.  What happened America?  It seems you are as racist and sexist as you were thirty or forty years ago.  It seems nothing really has changed except all the deplorables went into hiding.  Trump hit jackpot with his campaign of fear and hate and lies.  I was really looking forward to have a female president.  I was so excited to look at my son and tell him, "See her, she's our new President."  Now I won't even be able to look my son in the eye without feeling ashamed for our country.   I guess I should write a wonderful rant about how this will not be the end and how we'll fight another day.  But who?  Those who would oppose Trump are as fractured as the Republican party.  The youth didn't come out and vote. Or if they did, they voted for a third party candidate.  I know what that feels like.  I was young once too.  I shouldn't be surprised (and part of me isn't).  I voted Nader 16 years ago because I didn't want to support the guy I didn't like.  I learned my lesson but sadly no one else did.   I'm not saying Hillary would have won if Jill Stein or Gary Johnson wasn't there but they didn't help that's for sure.  And Bernie!  I don't think you'd have defeated Trump either.  As I said, Trump hit an angry nerve.  They want their jobs back, they don't want to be forced to pay for health care, they don't want immigrants, they want our military to go kick butt around the world and protect them and they want the promise that if they make it rich they won't have to pay that much tax.  Talk about voting against your own self interest.  It'll be interesting to see what unfolds in the next four years.  All I know is that Trump is going to hear a lot of noise and he'll not like it.  But until then I'm going to pretend none of this happened and dream of good days gone by.

No comments:

Post a Comment