My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Pather Panchali (1955)

The first in a trilogy, this is on almost every Greatest Film list I’ve seen.   I’ve been wanting to see it forever but it’s been out of print.  Believe it or not, the original negative burned in a fire.  I could have seen a VHS version of it about six years ago but I decided to hold out for this rumored (and now reality) restored version.  It’s a miracle that Criterion and team were able to bring this film back to form and I applaud their heroic efforts.  Thank god we have such artists out there to keep such monumental works alive.   This is the first film I’ve seen of legendary director Satyajit Ray.  I plan to see everything I can of his from now on.  This is a beautiful and tragic film that I know without a doubt would have found it amazing even if I had not known how revered it is among film scholars around the world.   Based on the novel by Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay, it tells the story of a rural family with three children.  The father wants to become a poet someday and that leaves his wife to take care of their children.   Living with them is an old woman who bickers with the wife all the time.   I fell in love with this family and found each of them so vibrant with life.   The black and white imagery is so stunning that I can’t get the images out of my head.   I have to say it, this is a perfect film.  Grade: A+

No comments:

Post a Comment