My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Trance (2013)

It’s always a bit disappointing when a director you trust makes something so average. Danny Boyle, why would you want to make this? You’re so much better than this trite. James McAvoy stars as an Auction House employee who gets mixed up in a painting’s robbery. Rosario Dawson plays his psychologist who uses hypnotism to attempt to unlock the parts of the crime he forgot so he can find the painting. Many uninspiring twists later, an exciting crime thriller turns into a messy revenge drama. It’s not really a bad film unless you consider average bad. Are we as film lovers worth more than average? Don’t we deserve to watch at least above average? In this case, I felt entertained just enough for it not to be a waste of my time. Yet it’s still a disappointment. Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment