My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Frozen (2013)

There are so many aspects to this Disney film to celebrate. It’s first and foremost a very entertaining fable with fun, catchy tunes (with wonderful lyrics). It’s also not the love story we’ve seen done to death, over and over again, with these kinds of Disney fairy tale films. This one is about the love between two sisters and two very independent, strong-willed women many girls can look up to.  This is on par with Tangled (the last fairy tale film Disney did) and proof John Lasseter is doing something right over there at the Mouse House.  I suspect this loose adaptatin of Hans Christian Andersen's story, The Snow Queen, will win a lot of fans (and awards). Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel lend their voices to the main characters and both perform fantastically. As with Hans Christian Andersen’s other story Disney butchered, I’m okay with the liberties they took because it can connect more with today's audience.   love what Jennifer Lee and Chris Buck did here and I’m excited to see what other films they make with Disney. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment