My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, December 13, 2013

No (2012)

Gael García Bernal stars in this political film about the Chilean plebiscite of 1988. The population was asked to vote Yes or No if Augusto Pinochet should remain President of the country. Bernal plays an advertising guru who is asked to use his talents and techniques in making a series of television spots to campaign on the No side. Not only is this an educational experience about a South American historical moment worth knowing about but it’s also a well-acted drama about a man mixing politics with business. My only issue with it is that its pacing is inconsistent making for an almost anti-climactic ending that feels it was supposed to be more exciting. But I can see why it was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Language film, it is a fascinating story. Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment