My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Frances Ha (2013)

I adore this charming throwback to French New Wave cinema from director Noah Baumbach. This is easily his best work to date and Greta Gerwig, who stars and co-wrote the screenplay, shines. Gerwig plays easily the most annoying yet lovable character I’ve seen in a film. Her character, so flawed and real, jumps off the screen. I want to be her friend and yet know I’d probably need a break from her from time to time. While its plot is minimal, it’s her relationships with her best friend Sophie and all her various roommates that pull you in and make you want to keep watching. Sometimes a simple black and white film can say more about life and all its struggles than anything else. Watch this film unless you need explosions and heavy-handed plotting to keep you interested. I celebrate this film and hope more discover it. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment