My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

Spring Breakers (2013)

Now this is more like it. James Franco, this is the kind of role you should be doing more of, not the Oz crap which I watched recently. Harmony Korine writes and directs a film about four young women who turn to armed robbery in order to get to Florida for Spring Break. This film is a debauchery mine field with drugs, violence, gun worship, and bikinis. I didn’t think I would like this film but I have to say any movie where James Franco (with a complete grill) sings Britney Spears’ "Everytime" at a piano while machine gun totting babes stand around is a success story. Vanessa Hudgens, Selena Gomez, Ashley Benson and Rachel Korine all play against type, showing that even wearing practically nothing a girl can still kick ass. Yet let’s be clear, there’s some in-depth exploration too going on about our young culture. Why is it so many of today’s generation would go to Florida and completely let themselves go? Why is getting drunk and running about having sex with the first person you see, fun? I don’t understand it but something tells me Harmony Korine understands it and sees the gritty truth behind it. This film is not for everyone but I thought it was a strange and intoxicating slap to the face. Hit me again. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment