My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, December 16, 2013

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

I was one of those that felt it unnecessary to turn a 300 page book into a trilogy. Maybe two films but three just felt like overkill. I’m changing my tune because I am loving these movies. I really enjoyed the first Hobbit and this second one is just as good if not a bit better. A lot of new characters and sub plots are being added to this epic story without it feeling bloated. I particularly love Tauriel’s story and her connection with Kili. Is it too long? Yes, just a tad but like the first film I’m not that annoyed by it. Of course I’m very nervous for the third film The Hobbit: There And Back Again. I really hope Jackson learns from his first trilogy and doesn’t give us a series of endings that makes the conclusion to this trilogy feel long-winded. As for this one, it’s sublime fantasy with wonderful composed action pieces and exciting visuals. And then there’s Smaug: the greatest dragon put to film, period. I can’t
wait until next year. Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment