My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A Christmas Carol (2009)

When I heard Robert Zemeckis (one of my favorite directors) was making another film adaptation of Dicken’s famous holiday ghost story, I groaned. Then I heard Jim Carrey was going to star in the film and play multiple characters. I still groaned. I love both guys but why this story. It’s been done so many times by so many people I just didn’t see the necessity of it. In the end I decided to see it because I wanted to watch a Christmas movie and it was the only one available. I was delightfully entertained but still wish they’d collaborated on something else. Carrey is fantastic and the visuals are sublime. And as for motion-capture animation this is one of the best.  But it reminds me of my high school years when the theater teacher picked some lamn play or musical to perform that year and you just had to accept it if you wanted to participate.  It’s worth checking out for the holidays but only if you’ve already seen George C. Scott’s verision of Scrooge (which is still the best adaptation). Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment