My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Archangel (1990)

Just because a film has a unique visual style doesn’t mean it’s automatically going to turn out any good. This Guy Maddin experiment takes place during the Russian Revolution and deals with a love triangle between a two men who have amnesia. I love stylized cinema but not when it’s confusing with old fashion style acting. I completely see his ingenuity and respect this show for what it was crafting but I just didn’t really care for it. Grade: B- (Wait a minute, if I didn’t like it why don’t’ I give it a C? Because regardless of my reaction, it’s a cool looking film.)

No comments:

Post a Comment