My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Office (Season 9)

After nine seasons the American version of the famous UK show comes to a close and in a satisfying and emotionally rewarding way. Andy’s reign as the Boss continues to fail and Jim and Pam’s marriage gets a little rocky with Jim working a second career on a business he started with college friends. Then there’s Dwight Schrute (which in many ways is the final story line we want to see closure from) who deals with his family’s farm while also making his ultimate dreams come true. That’s not to say it’s a perfect season. When it comes to comedic moments it is lacking from other seasons and I wasn’t completely overjoyed by some of the wrap-ups. Still when it comes to final seasons this is one future sitcoms could learn from, as it is a clever and solid ending. Grade: A-

Spoiler Alert
To expand on the parts that I think weaken this season, my biggest complaint is with Ellie Kemper’s Erin. She quickly became one of my favorite characters and I was excited to see how they’d finish her storylines but instead they get her set up with the “new Jim” (unnecessary love story) and then have her reunite with her father and mother (which was good but way too late). I feel like her character really could have had an outstanding conclusion but instead it just fizzles. Then there’s a nitpicky thing with Dwight and Angela. Angela admits that her son is Dwight’s but never explains why the doctor from the first episode of the season told Dwight that the paternity test proved otherwise. While I did love seeing all the old characters come back for cameos, I felt Steve Carell’s final moment could have been a bit longer, at least have Holly there at the wedding too. And why wasn’t Michael at the big reunion at the last episode?  That was a glaringly missing piece. Was it about money or scheduling? For me that would have helped make this a perfect ending.  

No comments:

Post a Comment