My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Top Ten Christmas Films To-Be, Maybe (Commentary)

For my annual Christmas Top Ten List I had trouble deciding what to do. I’ve already done the best movies and so forth, what else is there? So below are 10 Christmas films that I’d love to see get made. They’re not necessarily good ideas, but I’d love to see them anyway. What do you think? Anyone crazy enough to attempt one of these concepts?

A Christmas Paradox
Here’s a twist on Charles Dicken’s A Christmas Carol, using Time travel instead of mystical ghosts. Ebenezer Scrooge’s nephew Fred is the main character, a scientist who decides to go back in time to change the moment when Ebenezer started hating Christmas. Except when he returns to the present, assuming the holidays would be better he finds that Bob Cratchit is now the humbug miser and Scrooge is just as unhappy as before as Bob’s clerk. Now he must fix the mess he made by going back and ruining Ebenezer’s past to save everyone else’s Christmas.

How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Animated)
I really love what Sony did with Horton Hears a Who and I’d love to see them update Dr. Seuss’ classic holiday story. I know there’s the Ron Howard/ Jim Carrey version (which I actually don’t mind that much) but with animation there is so much more they could do.

Christmas Road Trip Movie
Think a mix between Vacation and Plains, Trains and Automobiles. A family travels across country to celebrate the holidays with the father’s large family. Comedy ensues.

Modern Nativity Story
Take the Nativity Story and have it happen in our time. Mary and Joseph are poor, homeless emigrants who find shelter in a hotel’s back utility closet. Every part of the story could be modernized for effect and it might end up being really moving. Just don’t make it a preachy film.

Christmas 3000
In the distant future we have lost the meaning of Christmas. In fact no one even celebrates it anymore. So a team of Christian scientists collect Jesus’ DNA and clone him so he can bring back the holidays. Except Jesus ends up making things even worse and it’s only our hero, a jolly fat atheist named Nicholas who saves the world from Jesus by bringing back fun and merriment to the end of the year. Or, now that I think of it, call the film Jesus vs. Santa. This black comedy concept would get some wonderful heated hate letters.

The Making of Rudolph
A behind the scenes film about the making of the classic Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer animated film from 1964. There’s got to be something cool about the making of that made-for-TV film.

Christmas in Paradise
I’ve never seen a Christmas film set on a tropical setting. Maybe newly-weds who go to the relatives who live in the Caribbean. The wife grew up there so it’s nothing new but the husband is used to a wintery Christmas and goes crazy.

Evil Elves
What if Santa’s elves became possessed and turned into evil, vampire like trolls intent on eating children? It would be like a zombie Christmas movie with lots of scares. Okay, maybe they should just call this one Gremlins.

A Pixar Christmas
I don’t care what the concept is or who is in it but I’d love to see Pixar make a holiday-themed film. I know it would be an instant classic.

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians (Remake)
There’s no doubt that this 1964 bomb is one of the worse Christmas movies made, which is why we need to remake it. It can either be made as a wacky parody that aims for laughs or a science fiction comedy that’s full of action. I don’t care which direction they go, I just want to see a special effect extravaganza where Santa Claus battles aliens trying to ruin the holidays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment