My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, December 2, 2013

Oz the Great and Powerful (2013)

Sam Raimi directs the prequel to The Wizard of Oz showing the origins of the trickster hero himself. This could have been so much better, showing how the wicked witch came to be and the start of her reign. It doesn’t help that James Franco is completely miscast. I like the actor but he can’t bolster this film. Yet he’s not the worst miscast, that would be Mila Kunis as Theodora . Mila is awful in this film. I don’t really blame her; she does her best but her make-up is pathetic and her acting is beyond her reach. I understand why they wanted her (and she is an Academy Award nominee) but she just can’t be scary evil. Most of the special effects are serviceable but there were a few bad moments such as when Oz and friends float away in bubbles (pretty bad). Overall it’s a mediocre fantasy film that will be forgotten in time, not the beginning of a new franchise that Walt Disney had hoped. Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment