My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Top Ten Horror Films (Commentary)

Happy Halloween!  As I eat my trick or treaters or . . . I mean, greet my trick or treaters I thought it would be fun to list the best of this goulish genre known as Horror.

10. The Descent (2005) - Being trapped is terrifying, but being trapped in a cave deep in the Earth where there's no where to go but down is horrific.  To double the fear add monsters.   Some advice: don't see the USA cut with the awful ending.  The UK version is fantastic. 

9. 28 Days Later (2003)  - Danny Boyle re-invents the zombie movie with rabid, fast moving Zombies that hunger for the living.  Cillian Murphy is great and the empty streets of London are eerie.  One of the better zombie movies made this decade.  Skip the sequel though. 

8. Dawn of the Dead (1978) - George A. Romero's sequel to the Night of the living dead.   Who better to expand on the idea of zombies, subtly adding social commentary, then the guy who made zombies more than just voodoo people.   

7. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - The terrifying remake starring Donal Sutherland that had me thunderstruck when I saw it.  Is there anything scarier than a loved one or friend suddenly being different?

6. Hellraiser (1987) - Clive Barker's most beloved horror fantasy about a puzzle box that opens the door to Hell, where its gate keeper, a demon without a name (but we know him as Pinhead) enacts pain on he or she that opened the door.  The sequel is pretty good too. 

5. The Thing (1982) -  John Carpenter really out does himself with a horror film that works as a film noir too.  Ground breaking special effects and a fantastic cast help make this one of my favorites. 

4. Night of the Living Dead (1968) - Creepy in black and white, Romero's original still packs a punch.  One of the best endings to a zombie movie ever, actually it's one of the best endings to a film no matter the sub-genre.

3. The Ring (2002) - Sure it's a remake of a terrific Japanese horror film but there's something about this film that really hits you in the gut.  The visuals are perfect and beautiful and as creepy as I've ever seen.   The twist at the end leaves a haunted feeling that just gets worse. 

2.  The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974) -  When I first watched this movie I couldn't believe it.  It really grabbed me by the throat and held me hostage.  Leather face is the monster Jason wishes he could be. 

1.  The Blair Witch Project (1999) -  For me, this is the first film that really scared me.  It builds so wonderfully that by the end I couldn't control myself.  Goosebumps spread across my body when we see that last image.  Personally there was something about those film makers too, they reminded me of friends I knew (I was the same age) and I just could relate.  Some people dislike the shaky camera but for me it works. 

Honorable Mentions
The Exorcist (1971) -  Yes, it's frightening but it's also really slow.  I will say though the version with the Spider-walk scene is the one to see.   The sound work and the acting and the make up are so gruesome it makes you believe in exorcisms. 

Paranormal Activity (2007) -  I'm going to wait to put this on the list because I want to see how it all pans out.   What I will say is that if there's one film that will knock off one of the above top ten films it's this one.   What a terrifying event.

No comments:

Post a Comment