My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Onibaba [Demon Woman] (1966)

This is pure cinema magic, a spell binding fable with dark consequences.  The story takes place during Japan's dark ages as two women survive by ambushing samurai and selling their armor and weapons to a nearby trader.  The young woman is the wife of the older woman's son, who went to war along with a neighbor.  The neighbor returns to inform them that her son and husband was killed.  Sexual tension rises between the two youths and the older woman will do anything to stop their romance.  Enter into the picture a samurai with a freaky mask.  If you hate foreign films, especially old foreign films then stay away from this one, but if you're like me this is a story that will stay with you for many days.  I loved it and thought it had an ending to rival the best of the genre.  Grade: A

Spoilers:  Remake?  I have to admit as I was watching this I thought to myself could this same story be told as an American horror film set during the Civil war.  It might be difficult with the mask part of it but I'd love to see someone try.

No comments:

Post a Comment