My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Paranormal Activity 3 (2011)

The third installment in the best series of horror films to be made in the last decade.   Okay, I'm not sure that's true, time will tell, but I am really enjoying what the makers of these movies are doing.  I was a big fan of the first film and thought the decision to make another one very silly.  The second film took me for surprise because it was a great sequel, a sequel that continues the story while at the same time adding to it in a clever way.  But lightning never strikes three times, right?  Wrong.  What we have here is a scary continuation that stands on its own while giving us more back history about the sisters, Katie and Kristi.  If you have not seen the first two films, you must; its better to see the story unfold backward although technically it could work in reverse.  But if you hate being scared or you don't like "found-footage" films like the Blair Witch Project or Cloverfield then you should stay away from this one too.  For me, these Paranormal films are the only ones I've seen in a long while that have actually scared me.  They freak me out and there's not a better communal experience then seeing this in the theater, where everyone jumps and scream at the same time.  Grade: A-

Spoilers:  I do not believe in ghosts or demons.  But these films tickle my imagination and inspire me to doubt my own beliefs, if only for a few hours.  That's an achievement.  For those out there that find these films boring and not scary, I can only assume you're lying or that you lack an imagination.   The reason these films work for me is because they "feel" real.  Sure, I know they're actors.  I understand the gimmick is just that but it works.  When the camera pans back and forth on Dennis' fan contraption the tension is as uncomfortable as waiting for the shark in Jaws pop up.  This is a brilliant film with only a few minor flaws.  (Witches?  That's a little uninspired.)  I can imagine that Paramount will want to keep milking this cash cow and I pray they don't screw it up.   There are a lot of possibilities for a fourth film.  I do wonder if the "let's-tape-everything-while-we-sleep" concept can be stretched out for another film but I have decided to stop second guessing these guys.  They know what they're doing and that's making it hard for me to get to sleep at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment