My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

The Beyond (1981)

I was disappointed in this film because of some buzz I'd read on the Internet (shows you how little you can trust what's written online).   Directed by Lucio Fulci, who made the more entertaining horror classic Zombie, I was excited to see what he did with a new location.   The location is pretty creepy, an old New Orleans hotel and its flooded out basement.   But all the rest is boring, really boring.  No matter how good of a story it might have, every horrific scene is shot without concern of pacing.  You watch a bunch of spiders kill a guy bite by bite for an extended amount of time.   The random killings have no reason and the story about the hotel being a gate way to hell is under-developed in the sake of more zombies.   I did like the final image on screen, an image that really does haunt but that's about it.  If Hollywood wants to make a remake, I say do it, because it couldn't turn out any worse.  Grade: C+.

No comments:

Post a Comment