My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, October 28, 2011

The Seventh Victim (1943)

Horror films of this era are really not that scary and a lot of the time I think they're not horror films at all.  This one produced by Val Lewton and directed by Mark Robson is mix between film noir and horror and I enjoyed how it unraveled.  It's the story of a young woman, named Mary, who leaves school to find out what happened to her older sister, Jacqueline?  What's especially twisted about this story is there's nothing really violent about it but there's an invisible psychological threat hovering over the central characters.  Check it out if you enjoy film noir with a sense of doom.  Grade: A-

Spoiler:  The scene that really affected me the most was when Jacqueline is being told by the Satanic worshipers that she must drink the poison.  It's a tense scene because you really think she might do it and the idea that a group could pressure you into killing yourself is a subtle but evil concept.  I didn't expect this film to go where it did.

No comments:

Post a Comment