My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Diva (1982)

This French film noir of the '80s is a stylized poem as well as a pulpy thriller.  A young man named Jules is a huge fan of a great opera singer named Cynthia Hawkins, a diva who refuses to record her voice.  He ends up recording a bootleg version which gets mixed up with another audio tape that's the centerpiece of a political scandal.  I have to say it's a pretty enjoyable yawn if a bit convoluted.  This is one of those unique experiences where design, performance, story and music come together in just the right way producing something better than you would expect.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment