My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (Novel)

Three complex characters are on the discovery to find out who they are after graduating college in one of the best modern day love triangles I've read in a long time.  Madeleine is a English major trying to become an expert on Jane Austen while dating Leonard, a scientist researcher.  Leonard is dealing with his own issues while Mitchell, another English major, pines for the one who got away while on a European backpacking trip, Madeleine.  Jeffrey Eugenides effortlessly blends various point of views in a clear and entertaining narrative. I highly recommend this book for those who enjoy reading relatable characters bumbling about in life. Grade: A-

Spoiler Alert:  
My one minor gripe with this book is the end.  It's not a bad ending it just didn't satisfy me completely because I'm always annoyed when a male character can only stop obsessing over a girl until he gets what he wants and that's to have sex with her.  It just seems so pitiful and cliché too.  Yes, men are shallow pigs but it would be so much more rewarding for me if Mitchell realized Madeleine wasn't for him without conquering her sexually.     

No comments:

Post a Comment