My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, June 21, 2013

Payday (1973)

Rip Torn is Maury Dann, a famous country western singer who tours the South in a Cadillac causing up trouble, drinking, womanizing, shooting, picking fights and being about the most manic guy in the room.  Rip is so good in this movie it's remarkable.  It's one of those performances so entertaining to watch, a character so fascinating on screen that you know while watching it you're seeing something special.  How is it this film is so forgotten?  This is about a perfect a dark comedy one could hope to ever make about such a flawed and egocentric character.  I really enjoyed this one and it shocks me to learn via Imdb.com that the director Daryl Duke never really made any other successful features after this and that this was screenwriter, Don Carpenter's only screenplay.  More people need to check this film out, it's a true pleasure.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment