My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Fringe (Season 4)

I won't say this season was a disappointment.  It's just after the last season there was really no way for the makers of this science-fiction romantic thriller to out do themselves.  It's a really good season with mostly excellent moments.  My main complain was how it unraveled at its conclusion, not so much what happened (which was great) but the why it was happening.  The villain felt like a stretch and his motivations way too fantastically for me to buy.  Is that cryptic enough?  Anyway I love these characters and it was joy to see their further development and to tease us of an unthinkable and brilliant change coming for season five.  Grade: A-

Spoiler Alert:  To explain my vagueness above: having William Bell turn out to be the villain and that he's trying to create a new universe of his own design . . . well, to put it simply that's was just too much for me to handle.  It's sort of cool if it was a different show but one of the things I love about this show is how the science feels possible.  That was until this season where the science is so out there it's like magic.  I love how our heroes fight back and save the world (the bullet scene was a beautiful and exciting surprise) but in the end it was just too weird for even me.  Also William Bell, while certainly suspicious, never seemed to be the kind of guy who would kill the entire world.  I would have rather have learned it was someone one pretending to be him or something but that's not what they did.  Still a great show but I guess even the best ones out there have a flaw or two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment