My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

La Terra trema (1947)

Luchino Visconti directs a story about a fisherman family who mortgage their home in the hope of independently going on their own and making more money instead of fishing for one of the big companies in town.  Cast with actual fisherman from a small Italian village for authenticity, this is a gut-wrenching film that shows how difficult it is for the little fish to go up against the big fish.  I will say I first thought it was too long (and it is) but it's surprisingly paced well enough to make the long running time durable.  Grade: A-    

No comments:

Post a Comment