My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Much Ado About Nothing (2013)

Joss Whedon and friends (from his days working in television) film a modern adaption of Shakespeare's play.  Shot digitally in Mr. Whedon's own home, the end result is magical and proof that even an old play can still be a blast to watch.   I know what some of you out there might be saying: "But Kenneth Branagh's version is the best, so why even make another one?"  The answer is, why not?  There's always room for two great adaptions of a classic.  Alexis Denisof and Amy Acker play the tongue-slashing lovers and light up the screen with comic charm and dramatic flare.   I hope after this film casting agents start calling them up; they both deserve busier careers.  I really don't have anything bad to say about this one.  Shot in black in white, wisely, and not that much of a stretch setting it in contemporary times, I would only skip this one if you dislike Shakespeare or lack a romantic spirit. Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment