My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Love in the Afternoon (1972)

Not to be confused with the Billy Wilder film staring Gary Cooper and Audrey Hepburn, this is the final film in Eric Rohner's Six Moral Tales Series.  I skipped watching the fifth one, Claire's Knee because I realized I had seen it many years ago before I knew anything about Rohmer.  It never really impressed me so I went ahead to this one also known as Chloe in the Afternoon (which is the title I prefer).  Simply put this one is wonderful.  It's just as good as My Night with Maud.  It follows a married lawyer who reconnects with a friend of his, a woman who used to be another friend's girlfriend.  They start up a friendship and it's clear he has some strong feelings of some kind toward this woman.  It strikes at the age old question for married men, do you wish you could be with other women again like when you were single?  While not a suspense film, it almost is as it moves a long: will he or won't he?  What a fitting way to end a wonderful series. Grade: A 

No comments:

Post a Comment