My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Hamlet (2000)

This is a contemporary take on the Bard's most famous revenge play about the Danish Prince, this time around played by Ethan Hawk.  It also stars Kyle MacLachlanby, Liev Schreiber, Julia Stiles, Bill Murphy, Steve Zahn, and Sam Shepard. It's always clever to see how one takes such an old work and updates it for new audiences.  Here we have a very cinematic experience with most of the story intact.   I especially loved how Hamlet is a lover of videography and crafts a film to confront his uncle instead of using a group of traveling thespians.  Unfortunately most of these actors do struggle with the language, but I think that's because they're trying to make it sound like contemporary speech.  Besides this obvious weakness, I must say I liked this adaptation very much.  It just proves how universal a storyteller Shakespeare was.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment