My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, June 10, 2013

Star Trek: The Next Generation (Season 5)

The fifth outing for the Next Generation crew really shines as an example of great science fiction.   Here you have a run of amazing episodes with my favorite and probably one of the best I've seen in "Inner Light" where Picard lives an entire life time on another planet.  But this season is just fantastic with other wonderful adventures like "Conundrum" where the crew's memory is altered, "I, Borg" where they capture a Borg and introduce him to individuality, "The Next Phase" where Geordi and a new character Ensign Ro get stuck on a different phase and "The Game" where Wesley must save the ship (again) from an alien invasion.  Speaking of Wesley Crusher (one of the fan's least favorite characters) he's give a great episode called "The First Duty" which is basically a trial episode and deals with telling the truth even if it means hurting your team.  Great ethical questions are challenged in many episodes, see "Ethics" dealing with assisted suicide, "Outcast" dealing with gender identity and "Silicon Avatar" dealing with revenge.  Yet what must be written about is the memorable two-parter with Spock: these two episodes for "Unification" make up one of my favorite Romulan themed stories so far.  Are there any duds?  Not really.  The only two weaker episodes are "Imaginary Friend" about an alien shape-shifter and the "Cost of Living", one of the less entertaining Lwaxana Troi stories.  Certainly watch this season if you like Star Trek.  It's one of the best seasons of the show. Grade: A  

No comments:

Post a Comment