My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Mon Oncle (1958)

Jacques Tati was a genius at using design to demonstrate a point of view.  Here the visuals tell of a conflict between the modern and the traditional.  With clever detail and a sarcastic wit he shows how the modern world is just silly.  Tati's character of the uncle is a man stuck in the past while his sister's family has embraced the modern world.  There's a hilarious bit with a fish fountain that had me rolling and another one on an automatic garage door that seems to make fun of our obsession gadgets.  I mean even the sets are amazing in their ability to make you laugh.   While there's not much of a plot going on you'd think this kind of film would run out of steam.  But it's consistently clever and inspiring in its humorous riff on consumerism and convenience.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment