My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Top Ten Revenge Movies

Revenge is a dish best served cold, or so the proverb says.  I'm still thinking about I Spit On Your Grave and it inspired me to consider a list of the top ten best Revenge movies.  I'm sure I've missed a few and I know of some right of the bat that I've not see yet (Death Wish for example) but I'll do my best.

10. Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan (1982) - These type of movies can be divided into those where the hero sets out for revenge or where the hero must survive an attempt at revenge.   This classic sequel has Captain Kirk and crew needing to deny Khan the revenge he seeks.  It's exciting and helped keep the Star Trek franchise alive after a disappointing first film.

9. High Plains Drifter (1973) - A mystical western where a stranger rides into a town needing a punishment.  This is Clint Eastwood's second project he would direct and it's a satisfying dark film.

8. Hard Candy (2005) - By putting this on the list we are kind of spoiling the film but it is one of the better revenge films out there.  Patrick Wilson and Ellen Paige go back in forth in this disturbing and well-crafted film.   

7. Cape Fear (1962) -  Some might be surprised I'm referring to the original black and white film and not the Scorsese remake which is really good too, but I love the J. Lee Thompson version.  Robert Mitchum and Gregory Peck are so good together.

6. Ocean's Eleven (2001) - Yes, this is a heist movie but the motivation from the very beginning is revenge. 

5. Old Boy (2003) - This Korean film completely redefines the revenge movie with a great mystery and a shocking ending that cleverly proves that one doesn't need to kill someone to destroy their soul.

4. Unforgiven (1992) - Clint Eastwood's famous western that dissects violence and the need for revenge.  Everyone involved delivers the goods in a film where an old gunslinger is hired for revenge ending up needing to satisfy his own kind of justice at the end. 

3. Virgin Spring (1960) - Bergman's medieval revenge movie became the bases for the American horror film The House on the Left.  What a powerful film with a performance by Max Von Sydow that's incredible.

2. Kill Bill (2003 & 2004) - I considered putting this at number one but ended up sticking it here, but there really hasn't been a revenge story more fun to watch.  Quentin Tarantino really nailed it when he set out to make a great revenge tale and the Bride is a fantastic heroine to follow. 

1. In the Bedroom (2001) - What does a father do when his son is killed and the killer walks free?  This drama asks this question and we follow Tom Wilkinson make a choice that he knows he shouldn't.  Sissy Spacek also stars.

Honorable Mentions:
Ricochet (1991) - Another survival movie with Denzel Washington having to thwart a crazy criminal played by Jonathan Lithgow from ruining his life. The main reason I wanted to mention this film is because of the rape scene. Wow, that's a way to enact revenge.

Memento (2000) - I really considered putting this exceptional film, told backwards, on the list but it just didn't make the cut.   Still, I wanted to mention it.

No comments:

Post a Comment