My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, September 26, 2011

The Leopard (1963)

Director Luchino Visconti brings Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa's novel to life with Burt Lancaster in the starring role, playing a Prince watching his country bypass him into a new era.  I watched the Italian version of the film because I felt it was the director's version.  I thought it would be weird seeing Burt Lancaster dubbed over in Italian but it's not, the actor they used doesn't have that distinctive Burt Lancaster voice but it matches the character Mr. Lancaster is playing.  There is a lot to adore about this film.  For one its gorgeous and the acting is remarkable.  I can't believe Lancaster didn't get an Oscar nomination.  If you don't mind long movies made in the sixties then I recommend you check this masterful work out.  Grade: A-

Spoilers:  It's strange that when you really analyze this film nothing ever happens.  No one dies.  The drama is subtle.  The Prince is a very passive character.   So you'd think this movie was boring but I was never bored.  How is that?  My guess is because Burt Lancaster just has the presence to carry any movie.  Bravo!

No comments:

Post a Comment