My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Source Code (2011)

Duncan Jones is becoming a favorite of mine after only two films.  First was Moon, which was a perfect little film that proves you don't need lots of special effects to make a great science fiction film, and here he does it again with a fresh spin on the time travel movie.  Okay, it's not time travel but I don't want to spoil the film.  Jake Gyllenhaal plays Army pilot Stevens, who is sent back into the body of a stranger to find out who was responsible for a terrorist attack that already happened.  It's a thrilling mystery with strong performances from both Jake and Vera Farmiga (who plays the Captain in charge of his mission).   The best way to describe it is Groundhog Day mets Minority Report.  When I finished the movie I experienced that little tingle of joy one gets after watching a rewarding film.  Grade: A-.

Spoilers: I know there's been some criticism that the film had a happy ending but I liked it because it expands on the concept of the parallel universe theory.  True, it would have been a good ending if he just died when the program ended too, but I like how the the story continues with there being another Stevens, waiting to go on a mission at the end of the film.   One thought I had afterward was what happened to the guy Stevens replaces, Sean the school teacher?   Poor guy, Stevens saves everyone but Sean.  It's kind of a cruel consequence of Steven heroics.  I wonder if there will be a sequel where Stevens tries to live Seans life but soon is sucked into another adventure to save the world.  I'd see it but only if Mr. Jones is behind the project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment