My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, September 5, 2011

Election (1999) - Revisited

I caught this film on TCM the other night and I couldn't change the channel.  What a pitch-perfect film that Alexander Payne made.  It's based on a novel written by Tom Perrotta (who also wrote the novel Little Children) and I'm going to have to read the book someday.  What struck me as I watched it again was how good Matthew Brodrick is (seeming to echo Jeffrey Jones' Edward Rooney from Ferris Bueller's Day Off but with his own charm).  I have to say I think it's probably his best performance.   Of course this is the film that made people take notice of Reese Withersoon and she's delightful if a little exaggerated.  Overall if you haven't seen this movie and you like High School movies with some bite to them than check out this a new classic.  Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment