My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Star Trek: The Next Generation (Season 1) - Revisited

Gene Roddenbury returns to the Star Trek Universe with a new cast, jumping decades past those days of Captain Kirk and Spock.  I loved this show when it was on and have always wanted to revisit the entire Star Trek Franchise.  So I am.  Season one is a great start for a television show.  The production value mostly still holds up and the writing is quite good.  From the very first show, where they introduce Q you can tell this show is special.  Patrick Stewart is the perfect actor to play a leader completely different than Captain Kirk and Brent Spiner is so good as Data it's no wonder he became as popular as he would.  Really though it's clear that the casting agent for this series earned a bonus; the chemistry between everyone is electric, even as they become more comfortable in their roles.  There are a few weak episodes, like the season finale, but overall it's great television show and a promising first season.  Just as I remembered.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment