My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Adjustment Bureau (2011)

This is my favorite movie of the year so far.   It has one of the better love stories I've seen in a while with two actors that are in top form.  Matt Damon is the best actor working in the business today and Emily Blunt is always giving an impressive performance.  Together they make a magical pairing.  I believed in their love story and it's their commitment that sells this story.  Based on the Adjustment Team by Philip K. Dick, George Nolfi directs from his own script.  As a first film, Mr. Nolfi can hold his head high, keeping the story fresh and exciting all the way to the end.  What I love about the film is how it illustrates the old freewill verse destiny conflict in a fresh and clever way.  Matt Damon plays a young politician who falls for a young woman, but according to his "Plan" devised by "the Chairman" he's not meant to stay with her.  He refuses to follow the Plan and goes head to head with these mysterious men whose job it is to make sure everyone follows their Plan.  There's a lot here that would be hard to swallow if it weren't done so well.  It'll be interesting to see how long this film stays my favorite.  Grade: A.

No comments:

Post a Comment