My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Midnight Meat Train (2008)

Based on a Clive Barker story, this film tells the story of a photographer (Bradley Cooper) who becomes obsessed with trying to track down a serial killer (Vinnie Jones) who butchers people on the subway.  This is a gruesome horror film with a decent story.  Vinnie Jones is so threatening its scary and watching Bradley Cooper's character fall deeper into an almost insane crusade is what keeps this film interesting.   The ending is silly but I didn't mind it for some reason, baby because I'm familiar with the source material.  Grade: B.

Spoilers: The ending as stated is silly but it didn't have to be.  The design team responsible for the monsters at the end of the line failed big time.   The director Ryuhei Kitamura should have just not showed us what they looked like (in the same way Spielberg avoided showing us Bruce in Jaws) because in the end they didn't seem scary enough to threaten all of humanity.  Still I love the idea and I wish it had been developed a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment