My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, September 16, 2011

Sunday Bloody Sunday (1971)

A homosexual doctor and a woman have a love affair with the same man, a free spirited artist.  This drama is less love triangle and more about dealing with the idea of lost love or false love.  What makes the film work is that these are two very complex characters portrayed by two terrific actors: Peter Finch as the doctor and Glenda Jackson as the "other" woman.  There's many reasons to watch this film.  If you enjoy great character work, like other John Schlesinger movies or need something less formulaic than most Hollywood movies then check this one out.  Grade: A-.

Spoilers:  The best scene in the movie, a scene that cuts to the bone is when Glenda Jackson berates a little girl for almost getting hit by a car.  I really can't get this scene out of my head.  I also applaud the strange use of breaking the fourth wall at the end of the movie.  It works somehow but I don't think I can explain why, it just does.

No comments:

Post a Comment