My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)

Along with X-Men: First Class this is one of the best superhero movie that came out this summer.  Chris Evans plays Steve Rogers, the weakling who would become the WWII superhero Captain America.  Along with his buddy Bucky, they take on Red Skull, played with vile precision by Hugo Weaving, the rogue Nazi agent planning on taking on the world.  Director Joe Johnston does a terrific job creating the WWII era and bringing it all together.  The action is great, the comedy just right and the love story beautiful.  Finally a love interest in a superhero film that works and I give a lot of the credit to Hayley Atwell who plays Peggy Carter.  Oh, and the writers I guess have something to do with that too.  Grade: A-

Spoilers: If there's any flaw in the film is that I wanted more.  Because of the future Avenger film, the film makers are forced to push the story to an ending that sets up that film.  The problem is I want another Captain America film with the Captain, Bucky and gang going on WWII missions to stop Red Skull.  Being tied to the Avenger story line helps in some cases, it gives the mystical science a connection to Thor, and with Mr. Stark there we're tied to Iron Man but it's kind of rushed.  I can only hope that they do make another Captain America film that's sort of a in between film, an adventure that occurred during WWII before Bucky dies.  This way we get to see Peggy again too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment