My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, October 28, 2016

Videodrome (1983)

I can’t believe I never saw this one before.  I thought I had until talking with a friend and it became clear I was thinking of Cronenberg’s film Scanners.  I’ve been missing out.  This is a marvelous demented film that’s packed of ideas and surreal images.  It’s frightening as well as thought provoking.  James Woods plays Max Renn, a shock jock looking for pirated material to broadcast on his minor cable channel.   He finds a broadcast called Videodrome that shows torture and rape.  After watching it though he starts to have hallucinations and that’s when he falls into a trap that he must desperately try to break away from or be a puppet to an underground organization.  The Criterion version has a great behind the scene documentary about the make-up effects from Rick Baker.  If you haven’t seen this one, do.  It’s eerily prophetic.  Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment