My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

13 Cameras (2016)

I hated this movie.  A couple rent a house from a creepy Billy Joel look-a-like who secretly watches them from cameras he has staged around the house.  Obviously things go from bad to worse when the creepy landlord witnesses the husband cheat on his pregnant wife so he decides to kidnap the girl he’s cheating on.  As this far-fetched scenario unfolds it just becomes more preposterous and cruel.  The acting is pretty average but I blame the writing.   The characters these actors play are so badly developed and their decision making is infuriating to watch.  The only memorable aspect to this film is the landlord portrayed by Neville Archambault; a villain so over the top you want to laugh.   I know what kind of film Victor Zarcoff is trying to make but in the end I felt like he sacrificed a lot of believably to get the end he wanted.   Stay away from this one, folks.  It’s just dumb.  Grade: C-


Spoilers:  I don’t mind endings where the villain wins; it’s a result that happens in a lot of horror films, but this one is just mean and silly.  There’s no way this guy is going to get away taking care of a kid on this own.   I think you’re supposed to laugh and find the ending shocking, but I just thought it was unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment