My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, October 24, 2016

The Black Cat (1934)

Boris Karloff and Béla Lugosi get top billing on this original film written by Peter Ruric (it has nothing to do with Edgar Allan Poe’s story).   Edgar G. Ulmer directs this, his most memorable film, until Detour that is.  Honeymooners Peter and Joan get stranded in Hungry and a doctor (Lugosi) on his way to see his college (Karloff) at his castle invites them to come along.   It’s clear Karloff is a devilish foe and that the Lugosi is there for revenge.   It’s a convoluted plot but full of many memorable scenes, especially a cat that gives the doctor a scare and the dungeon where many dead women are displayed.  I wouldn’t say this holds up that much, it is old and feels quaint, but it’s a must-see if you want to see the classics.  Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment