My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

The Canal (2014)

This Irish ghost story about a film preservationist named David who may or may not have killed his wife who may or may not have been having an affair.  Alone in a house with a violent past, David starts to feel an evil presence is trying to take away his son.  While the cops circle and his family worries about his sanity, he dives deeper into the mystery of his house in a hope to protect his son. Written and directed by Ivan Kavanagh.   Grade: A-


Spoilers:  Another depressing ending.  This is getting upsetting.  Okay, again I don’t mind it if a film has a sad ending.  The hero doesn’t have to live to make it a good film.  But in this one, did the boy have to die?  I mean, come on, the father gave his life so his son would live and then the kid dies anyway.   It’s haunting, that’s for sure, but so damn hopeless. 

No comments:

Post a Comment