My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Dead of Night (1945)

From Ealing Studios comes this collection of stories told in flash backs from guests at a party.  One of the guests named Walter arrives and believes he’s seen all of them before and forewarns of something terrible about to happen.   They try to convince him otherwise (this is where the flash backs come into play).   I’m not surprised that this film is as good as it is; that’s Ealing Studios for you.   All the stories are great; I especially love the one about the mirror.   There’s even a comic tale about two golf buddies that’s really fun.   What makes this all work is an ending that really seems ahead of its time.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment