My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Friday, October 16, 2015

Trouble Every Day (2001)

Claire Denis, the director of such films as Chocolat and Beau Travail, making a horror film is certainly something to watch.  It’s the story of an American in Paris, with his wife, setting out to find a scientist he admires.  Meanwhile the scientist’s wife has gone crazy and is locked away in a room to keep her from hurting anyone.  This is a weird film about obsession, love and vorarephilia (that’s right you read that correctly, look it up if you don’t know what it means, or better yet watch the film).  There are some really disturbing moments that I will never forget seeing. Vincent Gallo is solid.  I don’t know if Denis would want to make another horror film but I hope she does.   And may it be as horrific and well-made as this one. B+ 

No comments:

Post a Comment