My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Pyscho by Robert Bloch

I’ve always wanted to read the book that inspired the famous Hitchcock film.  Robert Bloch is such a fun writer and you can see what attracted Hitchcock to this property.   The only big difference is that the book goes into Norman Bate’s point of view more and it’s enjoyable to see that side of things although for the world of cinema keeping that part mysterious was the best decision you could make.   While reading it I kept thinking of Gus Van Sant’s shot-for-shot remake and wondered why he didn’t just adapt the novel differently.  I’d say I’d love to see such a thing but there’s nothing really new to bring to the table, with the television show Bates Motel being the exception.  I do recommend the book mostly because it’s good pulp and enjoyable to read Bloch.  Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment