My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Battery (2012)

You don’t get much low-budget than this terrific zombie film by Jeremy Gardner.  Two former baseball players traverse the New England backwoods surviving a zombie end times.   What I love about this film is that the zombies are what they should be, kind of boring.  The two guys wander around doing their best to stay motivated.  But things get tense when they decide to make contact with other survivors instead of making it on their own.   What helps make this very low-budget film shine is a fantastic sound track and a strong sense of character over story.  I highly recommend this one especially if you’re a fan of The Walking Dead but want to see something different from the sub-genre.  Grade: A-


BTW: Do watch the making of documentary that couples the DVD.  It’s really entertaining to see these cinema nobodies stumble and yet succeed at making a movie.  I’ll be curious to see if Jeremy Gardner does more or if this will be his one moment of cinema gold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment