My Grading System

A+ = Masterpiece (I hold back on this one.) / A = Great. / A- = Really Good. / B+ = Good. / B = Decent (Serviceable). / B- = Flawed but okay (For those times there's something redeeming about the work). / C+ = Not very good (Skip it). C = Bad. / C- = Awful. / F = Complete Disaster (I hold back on this one too).

Note on Spoilers: I will try to avoid ruining a story by going into too much detail. But if I wish to include some revealing points to my analysis I will try to remember to add a separate spoiler paragraph.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Crimson Peak (2015)

Any film written and directed by Guillermo del Toro should be seen, period.  Here he takes us into the heart of a Gothic romance or to be more precise a Gothic romance triangle.   It is visually spectacular with a haunted mansion that must be seen to believe.   Unfortunately the film is flawed because supernatural terror is outweighed by the terror of the villain.   Also it’s hard to know what love story to root for which makes for a complex but unsatisfying conclusion.   I’m not saying this is a bad film; it’s wonderful on many levels.  I just wish Guillermo del Toro would have juggled his plot a bit better.   It felt like he was trying too hard to do too much for a plot that was pretty predictable.  You have to give credit to his cast though.  Mia Wasikowska, Tom Hiddleston, Jessica Chastain and Charlie Hunnam are all very good in a film you wish was more deserving of their dedication.  Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment